Gripping and manipulating non-rigid and porous objects is an important challenge for manufacturing, which many scientists are currently engaged in. Now there are many problems in handling non-rigid (textile) materials from a stack or oriented in space. The goal of this project is to development of gripping devices, their control systems and manipulation methods for non-rigid objects. Such grippers and new methods of manipulation would allow to automate manufacturing where non-rigid objects are used. In addition, important aspects are the use of household robotic systems with the ability to grasping and manipulate a flexible object, which is practically not used now due to its complexity.
This project was supported in part by the U.S. Department of State (DOS), Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), Exchange Visitor Program #G-1-00005 with the cooperation of the Institute of International Education (IIE) under Fulbright Grant PS00322778.
- Department of Robotics Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (USA).
- Texas Robotics, The University of Texas at Austin (USA).
- Department of Automation Technological Processes and Manufacturing, Ternopil Ivan Puluj National Technical University (Ukraine).
|№||Materials||Coefficient||Weight||Thickness||Microscopy (x20 and x150) Keyence VHX-70000|
|8||Satin (100% Polyester)||0.0||0.008||0.15|
|9||Poly Cotton (65% Polyester/ 35% Cotton)||0.39||0.01||0.19|
|10||Cotton (80% Polyester/ 20% Cotton)||0.39||0.012||0.2|
|11||600Denier Cordura Outdoor Canvas Waterproof Fabric||0.39||0.03||0.37|
Cover from which the object is grasping
|№||Surfaces||Durometer||Coefficient of friction with Materials № 8||Coefficient of friction with Materials № 9||Coefficient of friction with Materials № 10||Coefficient of friction with Materials № 11|
|1||Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber||50A||0.47||0.53||0.59||0.57|
|2||Multipurpose Neoprene with Crisscross Texture||50A||1.49||1.94||2.14||1.71|
- Grasping non-rigid (textile) materials using a vacuum suction cup.
- Grasping non-rigid (textile) materials using the proposed gripping device.
- R. Mykhailyshyn, V. Savkiv, P. Maruschak, J. Xiao, (2022). "A Systematic Review on Pneumatic Gripping Devices for Industrial Robots." Transport. 37(3), 201–231. https://doi.org/10.3846/transport.2022.17110.
- R. Mykhailyshyn, J. Xiao, (2022). "Influence of Inlet Parameters on Power Characteristics of Bernoulli Gripping Devices for Industrial Robots." Applied Sciences. 12(14), 7074. https://doi.org/10.3390/app12147074.
- R. Mykhailyshyn, V. Savkiv, A. Majewicz Fey, J. Xiao, (2022). "Gripping Device for Textile Materials." IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASE.2022.3208796.
- R. Mykhailyshyn,A. Majewicz Fey, J. Xiao, (2023). "Finite Element Modeling of Grasping Porous Materials in Robotics Cells." Robotica. -(-), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263574723001121.